Muscogee County Tag & Tax Office
2015 Motor Vehicle Information

Lula Lunsford Huff - Muscogee County Tax Commissioner

Constitutional Office

The County Tax Commissioner, an office established by Georgia's Constitution and elected in all counties except one ( Dougherty County), is the official responsible for tax returns filed by taxpayers or designates the Board of Tax Assessors to receive all returns filed. The Tax Commissioner receives and processes applications for homestead exemption, serves as an agent for the State Revenue Commissioner for the registration of motor vehicles, and performs all functions related to billing, collecting, disbursing, and accounting for ad valorem taxes in the county.


(706) 653-4208
(706) 225-3772-Fax

Citizens Service Center
3111 Citizens Way   < directions >
Columbus, Georgia 31906

  Monday - Friday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM

Darrell "Tony" Floyd, Chief Deputy Tax Commissioner   < email >
Tyrone Whittaker, Deputy Tax Commissioner - Motor Vehicle

Disabled Person Placards & Tag

Disabled Persons Parking Permits/Placards are free and issued to a *disabled person upon presentation of an affidavit from a practitioner of the healing arts. *See O.C.G.A. 40-6-221 for description. The disabled person's tag is $20.

Permanent Disabled Person (Blue) Placard is valid for a period of 4 years, may be used in any vehicle the disabled person is operating or is a passenger.

Temporary Disabled Person Placard is valid for no longer than 6 months and can be used in any vehicle the disabled person is operating or is a passenger.

License Plates

View license plates at:

Decals Motor vehicle registrants can now choose a "Muscogee" County or "in God We Trust" decal

Print Motor Vehicle Forms at:

Salvage/Rebuilt Vehicles

Please contact the Georgia Department of Revenue for more information at (404) 968-3800.

Release of Information

In accordance with the Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) motor vehicle information is not public information and will only be released to the:

  • Owner: Form MV-20 & ID
  • Buyer: Form MV-20, title or bill of sale & ID
  • Driver, passenger or pedestrian in an accident: Form MV-20, Police Report & ID
  • Judgment creditor of the vehicle's owner: Form MV-20, certified copy of FIFA, & ID
  • Others contact the Tag Office: Attorney/paralegal/firm's staff
    Bank/lending institution/dealership
    Insurance company/adjuster


Leased vehicles do not qualify for tax exemptions.

A service member or dependent may request exemption of ad valorem taxes under the service member's relief act, service member must be"

  1. Active duty and not a legal resident of Georgia, who is a citizen of the United States.
  2. Assigned and present in the state of Georgia:
    1. Current military ID card
    2. Leave and Earning Statement dated within three months of registration or renewals
    3. Service member's special affidavit obtained from the JAG office annually
    4. Power of attorney if owner is not present
    5. Georgia Insurance

Questions pertaining to Veteran's exemption, please contact our office or the Georgia Department of Veterans Service Field Office (706) 649-1266.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Need a tag
A. GA ID or Driver's License, renewal notice or tag/VIN#.

Q. Registering vehicle
A. 30-days from vehicle entering county or within 30 days of purchase from dealer, 7 days casual sale.

Q. Tag is missing
A. Replacement fee $8 plus police report.

Q. Stolen vehicle
A. File police report.

Q. Moved
A. Provide Tag Office new address. Mail not forwarded.

Q. Received uncalculated tax bill
A. Contact Tag Office with new address.

Q. Lost title
A. Replacement fee $8, vehicle owner must be present or POA presented with copy of ID. Lien release may be required.

Q. Due
A. TAVT Rate: 2015 is 7%

Q. Someone else's tag renewal
A. Copy of vehicle owner driver's license and vehicle renewal notice.

Q. Sold the vehicle
A. Cancel registration and/or turn-in the tag. Must be done in person or by mail.

Q. Lost Mail
A. Owner must contact tag office immediately.

Important Note:
Cancel Registration on vehicle - sold, (stolen), inoperable, stored, junked or salvaged prior to canceling the insurance.


GA Insurance Companies Must Electronically Transmit Liability Insurance Coverage. Insurance card not acceptable

Motor vehicle owners and lessees in this state are required by law to maintain continuous Georgia liability insurance coverage on their vehicles.

Proof of this coverage is necessary to register and/or purchase GA tag.

Acceptable Proof of GA Insurance:

  1. Electronic transmission of liability insurance by a GA insurance company into the Georgia Department of Revenue insurance database within thirty days of coverage.

    Temporary acceptable proof of GA insurance: A valid binder letter issued by a GA licensed incensed insurance company showing the vehicle's identification number (VIN) can be used as temporary proof of GA liability insurance coverage for thirty days from the binder's issue date. (Fax no permitted)
  2. "Self-insured information card" and a "certificate of self-insurance" issued by the GA Insurance & Fire Safety Commissioner's Office.
  3. A valid Georgia fleet insurance card.

    * To avoid insurance penalties, registration must be canceled if vehicle is inoperable or not being operated.

Walk-In / Mail-In / On-Line Services

  1. Walk-In Service:
    Citizens Service Center 3111 Citizens Way,
    Columbus, GA 31906

    Cash (Walk-in Service Only), Money Order, Cashier's Check, or Personal check (local banks)
  2. Mail-In Service:
    • Muscogee County Tag Office
    • P.O. Box 1441
    • Columbus, GA 31902-1441

      Mail-In Checklist:
    • Verify information
    • Include GA driver's license of vehicle's owner
    • Include daytime phone number with area code
    • Postmark by midnight of primary vehicle's owner birthday
    • DO NOT send cash through the mail

    • Make check payable to:
      Muscogee County Tax Commissioner
      Acceptable Payment Forms
    • Money Order, Cashier's Check, or Personal check (local banks)
  3. Internet Renewal Service
    Renew online:
    Acceptable Payment Forms
    • E-check
    • Credit Card
    • Debit Card
  4. IVR Phone Line Service (Interactive Voice Response)
    Renew by telephone (877) 496-0249
  5. Acceptable Payment Forms
    • E-check
    • Credit Card
    • Debit Card


  • Mondays, Fridays and lunch hours (11AM-1PM)
  • For faster service renew by mail, Internet or phone.