Board of Zoning Appeals
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) is responsible for deciding appeals and granting variances relative to the enforcement of the zoning regulations. The Board of Zoning Appeals is administered through the City of Columbus Inspections and Codes Department. The functions of the board are listed below:
- To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged that there is error in any decision or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance.
- To authorize upon appeal, in specific cases, variances from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance where, owing to special conditions, literal enforcement of the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance will result in an unnecessary hardship. Variances can be granted that uphold the spirit of the Zoning Ordinance when the Appeals Board finds:
- There are extraordinary and exceptional conditions pertaining to the particular piece of property in question because of its size, shape, or topography;
- The application of the Zoning Ordinance to this particular piece of property would create an unnecessary hardship;
- Such conditions are peculiar to the property involved; and
- Relief, if granted, would not cause substantial detriment to the public.
- Up to date information on this Board can be found on the Inspections and Code website at InsCode.bza.org.
The Board consists of five members appointed by the Mayor of Columbus and the Columbus City Council. The current board members are:
- Barbara Fortson
- Ray Brinegar, III
- Tom Moore
- Ann Davis
- Ed Adams, III
For more information about the Board of Zoning Appeals, please contact Marsha Thomas by calling (706) 225-3889.
Government Annex Building
420 10th Street
Columbus, Georgia 31902
Phone: (706) 653-4421
Fax: (706) 653-4534
Sign Up for
Our Mailing List