Persons with Disabilities
Columbus Government Center
100 10th Street
1st Floor, West Wing
Columbus, GA 31901
Provides a liaison between citizens with disabilities and the Columbus Consolidated Government. Under leadership and coordination from the office in the Columbus Government Center, committee volunteers plan and implement various programs and projects to improve the quality of life for people with disabilities. The functions of the committee office include helping needy persons with disabilities connect with organizations and agencies that can supply necessary goods and services.
This committee's success has made it a model for Mayor's Committees throughout Georgia and Alabama. Our goals are to conceive and conduct programs and projects that will meet the needs of people with disabilities and promote enhancement of their quality of life.
The committee seeks to serve all persons with disabilities, including those with:
Web Resources Links
Here's How You Can Help
VOLUNTEER - Volunteers are needed to help plan, promote and participate in projects and programs designed to meet the ever changing needs of people with disabilities.
GIVE - Funds are needed for projects and events the committee sponsors for persons with disabilities, their families and supporters.
JOIN - The Mayor's Committee needs people who will dedicate time and energy to this important cause. If you wish to become an active member, call the committee office at (706) 653-4492.
COMMUNICATE - Your input--ideas and suggestions--can help the committee be more effective. If you have a disability, or if you are a family member or friend of a person with a disability, the committee needs to hear from you. It's a way you can help the committee to help you.
- Trips to Six Flags for persons with disabilities
- "Spring Flings" for persons with disabilities and their families
- Dial-A-Ride (instrumental in implementation of this program)
- Pilot project for Transitional Living Programs (co-sponsor)
- National Theatre for the Deaf, at the Springer
- Handicapped Awareness Day, at the Government Center
- Employer workshops at Columbus College Employer workshops at Columbus College
- More designated parking spaces at Government Center and Police Department
- Ms. Wheelchair Georgia Pageants, since 1992
- Ms. Wheelchair America Pageant, in Columbus, 1994
- Supported creation of position for legally blind person in the Columbus Police Department
- Promoted Challenger Little League for children with disabilities
- Accessibility awareness seminars
- Host, Mayor's Awards Banquets, since 1973
- Workshops for architects and building contractors
- Grant for home modifications through (Housing Authority and city Department of Community and Economic Development)
- Provided volunteers for Special Olympics
- Disability Education program in Muscogee County schools
- Funding for building ramps for needy persons
- Sponsored adults with disabilities to Camp ASCA
- Telephone Devices for Deaf (TTY) in the following areas: MCPD Office, Citizens Service Center, and Marianna Gallops Senior Center.
Scheduled Meetings and Events
The Mayor's Committee for Persons with Disabilities Executive Advisory Board, meets every third Thursday 11am - 12pm in the Mayor's Office, 6th Floor of the Government Center.
The General Committee Meets every other third Thursday from 12:15pm - 1:00pm Plaza Level, Government Center.
Please Note: Committee meetings, special events dates and times are subject to change. If you are interested in attending a general committee meeting, please contact us at (706)653-4492.