Tips for Making the Most of Your Ride
METRA Transit System can take you practically anywhere you want to go in Columbus. Services are provided Monday through Saturday, 4:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.
Planning Your Trip is Simple
- Plan your scheduled trip - METRA Customer guides and route schedules are available on each bus, at METRA's Transfer Center (9th Avenue & 15th Street), online or call (706) 225-4673 for information.
- Find your destination on the map.
- Find the starting where you will catch the bus and wait at that point.
- Look at the time points from left from right to get an idea of where the bus will travel along its route. Many bus stops fall between time points, and do not have an exact time listed on the schedule. If your bus stop in located between two time points, refer to the nearest time point shown before your location.
Here Are A Few Tips When Calling for Schedule Information
- Have paper and pencil ready.
- Be ready to tell Transfer Center operator the following information:
- Where you are
- Where you want to go
- What time you want to leave
- Which day of the week you want to travel
NOW YOU ARE READY TO RIDE...
- Arrive at the bus stop about three to five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive, according to the prior time point on the schedule. Please remember that the bus will board customers at designated bus stops ONLY. METRA bus stops are blue, white and orange with a bus and METRA logo on them.
- Make sure you are at the bus stop as the bus approaches your stop. This will let the bus operator know that you wish to board. Watch carefully for your route number on the bus. Many bus stops are served by more than one bus, so make sure you are getting on the right bus. If you are not sure, ask the operator.
- Enter the bus through the front door and pay your fare. You may pay with cash, tickets, 2-week passes or student monthly passes. Medicare cards are accepted for half fare with proper picture identification. Fare boxes accept dollar bills and coins, but do not make change. Bus Operators do not carry change. You must have the exact fare ready. Reduced fare customers are required to show a proper picture identification with fare payment. The required age for seniors is 62 with proper ID card. Hold onto the handrails as you find a seat; the bus may begin to move before you sit down. The seats directly up front are reserved for senior and disable customers.
- Signal the operator that you want to get off by pressing the yellow tape or pulling the cord near the windows. BUSES WILL ONLY STOP AT BUS STOPS to ensure safety. Remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop. Please give the Bus Operator enough notice so that he may make a smooth stop. Exit through the rear door if possible to allow new customers to board through the front. Just push the rear door handle bars, and the doors will open.
A majority of METRA buses have wheelchair accommodations and are able to "kneel" for easy access. To ensure that the bus serving your route is wheelchair accessible at the time you need, you may call METRA information in advance for confirmation.
- Priority seating is available to senior citizens and disabled customers at the front of the bus.
- Service dogs for the hearing and visually impaired are allowed on the bus.
- Radios must be listened to through earphones ONLY.
- Eating, drinking and smoking is NOT allowed on the bus.
- Parcels and packages shall be kept on leaps and carts and strollers shall not block the aisles. Additional fare may be required if packages occupy additional seats.
- No unnecessary conversations with the Bus Operator is permitted. Operators may discuss route information only.
- No profanity is allowed.
- Children taller than the fare box must pay regular fare. Children smaller than the fare box, must pay $1.00 if they will occupy their own seat. An adult may hold only ONE child in their lap FREE.
METRA officials have the right to refuse service or remove anyone who violates METRA travel tips or jeopardizes the comfort and/or safety of other customers.